How To Make a Party Photo Booth Backdrop
for any occasion!
For less than $10 and only about an hour of out my day, I made this festive photo booth backdrop for my Cinco De Mayo fiesta last year. This was so fun and quick to make that I would make this for any party or occasion by switching out the colors. I would say I can’t even explain how easy this was to make, but actually I can! So, here you go!
- Six white poster boards- Dollar Tree– $3.00 (.50 cents each)
- I used 6 poster boards to make my backdrop 44.5 inch x 78 in (~3.5ft x 6.5ft)
- American Greetings tissue paper, multi-color 40 count- Walmart– $3.98
- I used 27 pieces of tissue paper: 3 pieces of each color per row, 9 rows total
- Scotch Shipping Tape- Walmart– 2.88
- I used 95% of a fresh roll of tape
- Scissors- already had at home– $0
1) Tape the poster boards together.
Tip: Be sure put all the price tags on the same side so they don’t show through your fringe tissue paper
Tip: I layered the poster boards slightly so I could fit exactly three pieces of tissue paper per row to avoid having to cut a forth piece to cover all the white on the poster board. I did this by laying out three pieces of tissue paper folded length ways across the poster boards then layer the posters to fit perfectly
2) Fold each piece of tissue paper length ways then lay out the order in which you want them to appear on your poster board.
This will also help you determine how many pieces you need to cut to cover the white poster boards. You can use any color, any order of your choosing
3) Cut 1-inch strips on the folded tissue paper leaving 2-3 inches at the top uncut.
Tip: Use paper weights to hold down the paper to make it easier and quicker to cut. My friends Pappy and Willett were very helpful 🙂
Tip: Place your tape measure at the top of the tissue paper so you don’t have to keep remeasuring
Tip: I got bored cutting each paper one by one so I used little clothes pins to hold all the tissue paper together so I could cut all pieces at the same time. This was by far the most time efficient. I was careful enough to make sure all the pieces of tissue paper were aligned appropriately so the strips (fringe) were about the same width
4) Tape fringe tissue paper to poster board one row at a time starting at the bottom. Repeat until complete.
Tip: Tape one piece of tissue paper at a time then add the next piece of that row to ensure it’s all even. Repeat.
Tip: Leave 4-5 inches of “fringe” showing per color
Tip: I taped the top layer by folding the tape over the top of the poster board
Viola! You have your very own festive photo booth backdrop!
BONUS TIP: Use 3M wall hooks to hang the backdrop rather than push pins or tape to avoid holes or ripped paint off the wall. With a hole punch I made two holes on the top left overlapping one another to make it big enough for the hook and did the same thing on the right side. Follow the 3M instructions to attach the hooks to the wall.
I’d love to see your creations. Tag The Lifestyle Loop in your photos to share!