Cinco de Mayo is possibly my favorite non-major holiday of the year. You can’t go wrong with margaritas and tacos. Really.
For the past few years we’ve hosted a party at our house on May 5th because our favorite Mexican restaurant, Acapulco, is always slammed much more than their typical busy night. So to avoid the hassle, we have our friends over for a fiesta!
Last year the weather was 53 and rainy so that means we had to think quickly and move 50+ kids and all the adults INSIDE! Not cool. Rather than having all the rugrats tearing through the playroom, I decided to make some fun distractions to keep them occupied. The funnest activity (in my opinion) was the MAKE YOUR OWN MARACAS table! It was crazy simple, super cheap, and put good use to the Easter eggs I was holding onto.
Try it out and let me know how it works for you!
- empty plastic easter eggs (color does not matter)
- popcorn kernels, rice, or aquarium rocks
- plastic spoons
- masking tape (you can also use decorated tape to eliminate coloring the plain tape)
- optional: containers to put each of the above in
Instructions to make the maraca:
- Step 1: Pick your egg
- Step 2: Fill your egg with a few rocks (it does not take many)
- Step 3: Pick two spoons and place the egg (filled with rocks) between them
- Step 4: Wrap your egg and spoons with tape
- Step 5: Decorate your maraca!
- TIP: washable markers wipe off easily. I suggest using fine-tip dry erase markers or sharpies