How I took a plain room and redecorated it with my wishlist modern decor
When we moved in 2015 we sold our theater room furniture along with the house. So when we moved in to our new house, we just needed something that would fit the bonus room space. I wasn’t concerned of actually decorating that room as it was going to be half playroom/half bonus room and I really didn’t know how I wanted to decorate it in a modern theme anyway. So when we recently decided to move the playroom into the spare bedroom it seemed like the perfect opportunity to finally redecorate the room property.
Our whole house is minimalist and modern themed and I wanted to keep that style in the bonus room but make it a tad different. Here’s where the GOLD and PATTERN comes in. It’s a little out of our comfort zone but decided to give it a shot anyway. I fell in love immediately. It took my husband a little longer to come around, but after a few days he decided he could live with it too (as if he had a choice!).
Here’s a breakdown with direct links to each item in my new favorite room! But I should note that not all items linked are exact but I did find similar (or even better!) options that are still available for purchase. Some items below contain affiliate links.
- Gray modern couch- A total staple for a modern looking room. With the visible wooden legs on this couch it was a must. My new fav gray couch from the same store.
- Gold pattern throw pillows- I searched for the perfect throw pillows and didn’t fall in love with any of them until these pattern throw pillows at At Home. They’re an off white mixed with gold pattern that is subtle and adds just the right amount of dimension. Ink & Ivy, Kiara Metallic, Gold and White covers
- Faux fur white throw pillows- The furry white throw pillows were next on my list. I wasn’t sure if they’d mesh with everything but when it all came together there was no going back. Faux Fur Cream, Faux fur pillow cover
- Throw blanket- And that throw! Talk about stylish and functional! It’s super cute and it’s super comfy. I love how it brings all the pieces together. And it’s totally affordable! Cream faux fur throw, Pink faux fur throw
- Gold and marble coffee table– This table is perfect for a place to kick up your feet or set down a drink but doesn’t cover up the beautiful cowhide rug.
- Faux cowhide rug– Speaking of cowhide rug…. this faux piece has GOLD accents in it. I fell in love immediately and had to purchase online asap.
- Gold rimmed mirror tray- Sometimes it’s the little things that talk the loudest. Gold circle mirror tray (this one is on sale!)
- Succulent– Love how this succulent is white and gold but adds a touch of green. Medium white pot, Small white pot
- Vase & pink flowers- I did not plan on having any pinks in the room but when we put this together it felt like it had to be part of the decor. Gold textured, Medium gold, Honeycomb gold, Pink flowers
- Gold cased candle- So simple! Gold and clear cased candle, Metallic bourbon
- Tall greenery– When we first saw this vase we weren’t sure the silver-ish color would flow and I really didn’t feel like spray painting it, but it was the best option I could find that was close to what I wanted. Right behind the gold end table I think it actually meshes quiet well together, oddly.
- Champagne metal and white marble end tables– Gold bottom with white marble surface goes with the coffee table like peanut butter and jelly.
- Decor Paris and NYC books- Our favorite trip so far has been to NYC and with our upcoming trip to Paris, I felt like these books were perfect to showcase a touch of our adventures. Paris (on sale!), NYC (on sale too!)
- Gold crate– This room is directly above the garage and it gets very cold so I knew I needed a little something for the far side of the room to hold extra blankets.
- Tall gold vase- Truthfully, when I found this piece I had no idea where I would put it, but knew I needed to have it.
- Succulent- I mean, how does this not flow with any room? Gold dip planter, Gold geometric
- Candle holder- Remember how I said my whole house is modern and minimalist? I felt if I added a candle to this candle holder that it would just make the space look cluttered. Sounds kinda silly, but it’s honest! Similar on clearance!
- Coasters- Because sometimes all you need is a coaster to top off the end table. Gold & Marble square, Gold marble round (LOVE these and they’re on sale! I may be ordering these to replace the ones in the photo!)
- White accent chair- I purchased this about two years or so ago and it’s still my favorite chair in the house. I have no idea how it remained so clean. Here’s a similar one from the same store– Karen Accent Chair
- Gold throw pillow– A pop of gold on white is seriously what this room is about.
- Faux white leather pouf– No explanation needed.
- Macrame wall hangs– OMG my favorite piece in this room! I was on the search for a macrame wall hang and lucked out with two of these! Other macrame, handwoven, wall tapestry favs: Sass & Belle Boho, Timeyard, Labhanshi
Before & After
I’d be remise if I didn’t give Jamie a shout out here because, if you don’t already know you’ll soon find out, she has the eye for decorating. I told her the type of style and feel I wanted and she told me what to look for and even came along for some in-store and online shopping sprees. Scooorreee!
Before redecorating, the bonus room was my least favorite room in the house. The couch was super comfortable but it didn’t do anything aesthetically for the space. Now, I want to be in the room all the time! Game nights, movie nights, work sessions… it’s perfect for everything! The redecorating was much needed and I’m so happy with how it came out. See for yourself!
What’s your favorite modern decor? I’d love to incorporate it into my next room makeover!