14 In In The Loop/ Mom Life

Every Mom’s Snow Day Cycle

I grew up in the north so when schools here in middle Tennessee close due to snow I tend to think it’s over-reacting. But I’d rather be safe than sorry so I make the best of it and enjoy the snow day with the kids!

At least until snow day 4 or 5.

I mean, come on… picture this (as I’m sure we’ve all been there)… Husband is at work all day. Mom and the kids are at home all day. Together. Alone. For five snow days. Plus two weekend days full of snow and ice. There’s only so much sledding and so many play dates one can do.

So today marks consecutive snow day #5 (7th day total). How am I surviving you ask? I don’t know either.

The first few days were fun and I’m so thankful to have had that time with them! We had a lot of fun things going on… at-home spa day, snow play, sled riding, dress up, fort making, board games, read books, play dates with neighbors… you name it. Then after snow days 3-4 the girls start bickering because they haven’t been away from each other for more than 5 minutes. So the only logical thing to do is separate them. And guess what they do!? They whine about wanting to play together! I mean, COME ON! Mom just never wins.

I figured it was only appropriate to document the cycle we all go through on snow days.

I’m drinking straight bourbon by snow day #5, but if you need something a little less potent try one of these favorite cocktails.

Snow days are magical days that you get to be a kid again and have no worries while you’re playing in the fluffy snow. Except when a snow day turns into a snow week. Everyone loves a snow week. Except moms.

You Might Also Like

14 Comments

Jess
    January 19, 2018 at 2:58 am

We homeschool so we’re used to being home, but it’s been way to cold to even send the kids out to go and play in the snow! Getting a bit stir crazy definitely, but have been enjoying some great connection time, amidst the bickering for sure! We’re so there sister! 🙌

Jamie
      January 19, 2018 at 3:10 am

So glad to hear I’m not alone- haha! Loving the extra time with the girls but I’m getting a little behind on work… – Sam

Lauren
    January 20, 2018 at 3:42 pm

This was such a cute read. I’m not a mom myself but I like to find ideas for the future since my moms approach was “go outside” on snow days. Very cute!

Jamie
      January 22, 2018 at 9:53 pm

Thanks, Lauren! I totally used the “go outside” line a few times but my girls froze after about 5 minutes each time that we had to start getting creative 🙂

Melinda
    January 20, 2018 at 3:59 pm

Haha I think this is so cute. Does it usually snow this much in Tennessee?

Jamie
      January 22, 2018 at 9:51 pm

We normally get ice (and go ice sledding) with flurries of snow. This time is actually snowed and white powder stuck! But now it’s all gone because today we had 60 degree weather… TN weather is so up and down it’s hard to dress appropriate sometimes!

MAYA
    January 20, 2018 at 4:06 pm

This has always been a dream for me! I live in the UK, and even when it snowed we were expected to go into school, my school hasn’t had a snow day in the last 15 years- considering it snows almost every year
    It was always a bit disappointing! But I can imagine snow weeks can become quite overbearing ! Love the photos

Jamie
      January 22, 2018 at 9:50 pm

Thanks, Maya! So interested to hear what it’s like in the UK!

Claire
    January 20, 2018 at 4:07 pm

haha, I can only imagine how exasperated you must be to have to think of activities to do with your kids on those snow days! However, on the other hand, I am sure these will become precious memories for you to look back on in the future! Hang in there!! 🙂

Jamie
      January 22, 2018 at 9:38 pm

Yes, that is so true. We’ve already looked back and shared our favorite moments 🙂

Noelia
    January 21, 2018 at 7:28 pm

Haha! Such a fun video! I don’t have kids and were I live we never see snow (except in movies) but I guess that having so many snow-days in a row WITH KIDS is such a challenge 😯 Wish you the best! X

Jamie
      January 22, 2018 at 9:37 pm

I survived and live to tell the tale 🙂 Perhaps I’ll write a blog about “How to Survive a Snow Day with Kids” haha!

Margriet
    January 22, 2018 at 10:47 pm

Wow, well that are a lot of (free) snow days. I don’t know if the snow is already gone, but in case it isn’t, I want to wish you good luck. By the way, the pictures look beautiful!

Jamie
      January 22, 2018 at 9:36 pm

Thank you, Margriet! The snow is now completely gone as we just had 60 degree weather!