Baking homemade Christmas cookies is a favorite at Sam’s house. Her mom and grandmother have made it a tradition every holiday season and now Sam has looped her girls into doing it each year too.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat
- Mix together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, ~3 minutes
- Add egg and mix until well-combined
- Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and vanilla
- Place dough on a floured surface and cut into assorted shapes with cookie cutters
- Place cookie dough onto baking sheet spacing about 1 inche apart
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned
- Prepare the icing:
- In a small bowl, stir together confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth. If icing is too thick, add more milk. If icing is too runny, add more confectioners’ sugar.
- Divide into separate bowls and add one color of food coloring per bowl, stir well.
- Once cookies have cooked and cooled, layer the cookies with icing. Top with sprinkles if desired.